Wanted to ask for prayer for our family again....
Over the last week we have had several things happen - both blessing and challenge. On the blessing side, Mike applied for and was hired for the position "next in line" after his. This position comes with a raise, and an opportunity to deal with some products and services he hasn't been able to do yet. It also comes with some changes in the way things are done. He will have training for 2 week in November for this position, and is both excited and nervous about what that may mean. His schedule shouldn't change as far as we know at this point. Also, on Monday, Michael Ben was checked out by his allergist (whom he hasn't seen in a really long time because of insurance over the last few years). After doing the testing, he seems to feel that Michael is outgrowing his asthma, and we are beginning the process of weaning him off of his steroids for the first time in 9 years... That was unexpected and such a great thing to hear. Chris was also able to visit with his ENT for the first time in 4 years to have his hearing "officially checked". We had some concerns, but according to the ENT, the boy could hear a pin drop. Again - so wonderful to hear!
After our Allergy appointment yesterday (yes - I'm going to start calling them medical Mondays....), we went over to Chris orthodontist hoping again for a surgery date. She checked him and made arrangements to have his spacer removed at our next appointment. I asked if that was a good idea - I thought he needed it to support the jaw repair as it strengthened. She said, "Well, since he already had the surgery, he should be fine at this point."
I just sat there and stared at that point. When I recollected my wits and nerves, I reminded her that, NO, he hasn't had the surgery. We go to cleft clinic now on November 17th where she and the surgeon will again be in the same room. I was warned about the challenge of using a "newer" team here in the Valley when Chris was born. That communication would be a challenge and that it would be my job to keep it moving. I guess I didn't really take it that seriously. Anyway - I called the surgeon's office and they told me again that they don't take our "new" insurance either. The surgeon is going to be in the office today, so I am hoping that I will have some kind of a plan by the end of the day. Then we have to attempt a pre-certification to have Chris procedure covered. Our insurance has pretty much already said they will deny coverage. Please pray that they would allow us to use the doctor on our team, and that the communication might finally be resolved between the Ortho and the surgeon. Chris is scheduled to have his spacer removed on November 20th - even though I told her he hadn't had the surgery. I need a lot of wisdom here as I try to "play" doctor.
Mike had an appointment next yesterday afternoon. He has been having some pains for about 4-5 months at this point at a site of a previous surgery (like 17 years previous). We were hoping for a "Get over it you big baby!" response. Instead he has an appointment with the head of surgery at St Luke's Allentown on Monday. The receptionist assured me it was probably minor, but when I told her what was going on, she (kindly - if you can imagine) laughed at me and told me that more than likely, we were looking at surgery - just a question of whether it is an emergency or not. The last time he had this surgery it was a nightmare. He really didn't do well. I am kind of walking around here today like I got hit with a brick. Oscillating between telling myself that we are really doing well, we really are, and wondering when this kind of stuff every ends. I am sick of doctor's and dentist's offices - feels like we live there. We are at one appointment or another (sometimes multiple ones) every single monday. I'm tired. Then I feel guilty for not trusting and being grateful that we can go to the doctor and that the things we are dealing with, when compared to others are majorly minor... Don't know if that makes sense. If you read all the way to this point.... thank you! And thank you for praying for us!
A prayer of my heart today....
As an update - no one got back to me yesterday. At this point we are considering moving Chris' care to CHOP as we had a good experience there with Katie. Much fear with this as we are truly mid-stream in treatment and that may be complicated. And I feel bad about leaving his doctors. Much to work through...
Some desires are good, but not what is best for us (even if it is a yearning for a "boring" season!). As we walk through this time, I am reminded that I need Him to capture my heart with HIM. That will give me true rest...
Praying for you today....that you'll walk S.L.O.W.L.Y in pace with HIM.
ReplyDeletelove you.
Thanks Bev. Feeling that pull to make a snap decision and have done with it for sure!! See you tonight!
Delete