Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Monday!

Wow - it has been over a week since I last posted! I though maybe I would do better. Looking over the last 10 days, I am realizing just how much I have to be thankful for. Someone at church yesterday made the observation that this has been a week of answered prayers. At that moment, as she and two other friends and I were talking, it seemed very clear that it indeed had been. Then we left church.

How many times have we heard the exhortation that we can take our Sundays into the week? What a beautiful Sunday it was! We are in a series called "Pierced for our Transgressions". It is a timely reminder of what Christ accomplished on the cross for us - something I am in constant need of!! The worship was intoxicating, the sermon was full and deeply satisfying. It was a gift of grace to us. http://www.gcchurch.org/pages/index.php?pID=37

Yet, even on the way home the weariness settled in again ( I will never use the word doldrums again! :) ). I need to see Christ right now. It's funny how that ebbs and flows. Some days I see Him so very clearly. Some days I feel like I am straining to see - but He doesn't seem to be there.

But I know that even as I write, He is faithful. A friend shared with me on Saturday that she is talking with her children about the faithfulness of God by using the sun as an example. She shared that she had been telling them that the sun is always there - even when the clouds hide it, even on rainy days, even at night. The sun never moves away from the earth. It remains the same distance from the earth whether it "feels like it is there" or not. The Spirit of God is in us! He can't get much closer than that! So why does He feel so far away?

This has been a week of answered prayer. A new life was saved, a job situation we had been praying for has been resolved, provision has been made for those of us that are in need. These are facts - not feelings. Those things have not changed. I think for me, the sun illustration goes a bit deeper. The reason that Sunday was so wonderful was that I was looking straight into the sun. There is a song we sing called "In the Shadow of the Cross". The first two lines say :

In the shadow of the cross
Let everything fall into place again
Simple, yet not so simple. Sunday morning, I was being immersed in the Cross. Everything fell back into focus for a time. Then I turned around. Now it feels cold, as if I can't see the sun. I have two choices - I can face the sun, or demand that the sun face me. So far, to be honest, I have chosen the latter. I have a list of demands that I would like fulfilled, and they are this way, not that way. I covet your prayers right now! I need to realize that how it "feels" and the facts are two different things. I need to realize that more than just with a verbal assent.

No comments:

Post a Comment