
It is called "Give them Grace", and it is by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. I started the book and could NOT put it down. I am afraid I didn't give in an entirely fair reading since there are discussion and application questions in it that I didn't work through, but I can honestly say that this is the BEST book on parenting I have EVER read. I know what you may be thinking. There are a whole lot of parenting books out there, and, like you I have read most of them. There is just something different about this book. There are no systems in it - no suggestions for systems. It does have some anecdotes and some "scripts" that they give as examples of what they are trying to say, but all in all the book mostly focuses on our perspective in parenting - not our systems in parenting. Not only that, but it explains why there are some parenting "systems" that seem to work, but something just doesn't "seem right" about them. There was also an entire chapter on reading Proverbs rightly that really, really encouraged me. It broached questions like "If I am raising my kids in the love and admonition of the Lord (training up a child in the way he / she should go), and Proverbs says 'when they are old they will not depart from them' , why do some kids stray? And will mine?" with love, grace, hope, and biblical perspective. I can't recommend this book enough!!
No comments:
Post a Comment