Monday, May 17, 2010

A book I didn't want to like....

We were given a copy of a book called "Mighty Acts of God" by Starr Meade.  This was a book I had seen over and over in my "travels" while searching for books.  It was one that had come recommended, and I actually had it in a list of books I wanted to get a hold of when we were given our copy.  When I first pulled it out of the box and flipped through it, I put it down almost right away.  For whatever reason, it seemed too involved for what I was doing at the time.  At the same time, our boys are transitioning out of the "Big Picture Story Bible" and reading it themselves, so we were beginning to look over the "next level" of book for them, since the "Big Truths for Young Hearts" book is still a little rough for them to comprehend.

I picked it up again about a week ago to look over it more in depth.  It looks like this will be the next evening family reading book.  It is basic enough for the twins, and engaging enough for Michael and Kate. It is not activity based (which was my first impression....), but instead discussion based which means we can go more in depth with the older ones, but the twins can still have a meaningful part in the conversation.  And, something that is very important to us as a family, it keeps on with the "Big Picture" theme.  One of our biggest complaints with most "children's bible story books" is the disconnect and "character study" type lessons.  The bible is a big continuing story, and although knowledge of biblical characters is helpful, without the Gospel remaining the main theme, you have a collection of "nice stories".  Meade stays true to keeping God's redemption the main theme.  It is put out by Crossway (www.crossway.org/blog). We are looking forward to using as part of our evening family worship!  

No comments:

Post a Comment