Hi all!! We have gotten to that day. That day that ends our 15 month transition. Mike went back to work last Monday.
He is working in a tire warehouse. Funny thing is - he actually likes it. Don't get me wrong - it isn't his ideal career. It isn't what he wants to be doing. But it is the opportunity God has given him at this time to provide for our family, and isn't it kind of God to have his heart in a place where he is enjoying the provision God has granted!! There are details to be worked out schedule wise, money wise (this was a drastic reduction in pay), and goal wise (he is still in school - 2 classes a semester and he will have his BA in Biblical Studies by next May if we figured right), but as we look over the ways God has ordered our steps over the last season (who are we kidding!! over our LIVES!!) we have full confidence in the God of our salvation! So - we are still in adjusting as we have just finished week 1 (training), and as of tomorrow his "real" schedule starts. He is really enjoying school as well (and so far doing really well! He is on week 4 of 8 starting this week). He is tired, but in a lot of ways it is amazing how happy he is to be working again.
As for the rest of us, we are hanging on tight. On Thursday, we got home from the store and when we walked in, Chris loudly announced "Dad! We're home!" - to an empty house. He doesn't see Mike leave in the morning since he has to be in by 7 AM, and thought he was "in the tower" (our attic) working on school. We are getting used to not being able to get to daddy whenever we want - he can't have his cell at all in the warehouse, so it's breaks and lunch only. We are not used to that - me included! I didn't realize how used to him being around we had gotten! Last week was a challenge for me since once he gets home he really can't do too much - it is manual labor, and he has been up since 5 - so he isn't really anxious to be taking on anything extra after that - nor should he be. I have to get my A game going for sure from now on. I kept repeating to myself last week - "It's week 1. It's week 1. This is an adjustment period. It's week 1." By Friday I was feeling it - and didn't have half the stuff done that needed doing. But - that was week 1 :) !
We sat down today and attempted to get some semblance of a schedule planned. Here is where you guys come in. Like I mentioned, this is a pretty severe adjustment for our family. We are going from Mike being busy, but around, to Mike being busy and working 55 + hours a week. My brain is reeling from that number, and that is without the time he needs to get his school done, or the commute time. We already have needs that we would love to have you lift up to our Father (a post on that coming - we had an EXCELLENT sermon today!!) as we step out in faith believing that this is what God has for us in this season. We have desires that may have to be set aside during this time. We have what is looking like a REALLY tight schedule for the forseeable future.
Would you pray that Mike's schedule would allow us to attend our Care Group (first and foremost)? The way it looks now, he may not be able to be out of work in time for that to happen. This is a precious means of grace to us, and we are rather unwilling to let it go. He is approaching the scheduler tomorrow about making arrangements that will allow that. Please pray that he would be shown favor in his request. We actually have 6 dates in April that we had already scheduled on the calendar that would necessitate him getting out on time (6 PM) in order for us to keep those commitments. That is his end time, but apparently they don't really follow those end times. Would you pray for strength and endurance for Mike to finish his education as he also works all these hours? Would you pray for protection for our family as our time together will be lessened during this time - that we would enjoy and make good use of the times we are together? Would you pray that we would be strengthened as a couple through this busy season as well - that it would only serve to bring us closer, not make us too busy to remember we are married :) ? Would you pray that I would be faithful in my service to my family - not overwhelmed, but serving with joy and gladness - serving the Lord, my family, having the discernment to take on only what He has for me? That I would be able to prioritize my time as unto Him, and that I wouldn't be lazy? I have a tendency to find things to "fill" my time - they are such good things - and I neglect the things I know I am called to for the sake of those things. It's a "righteous" way of mismanaging my time. My family cannot afford that kind of behavior right now! I also desire joy in this season. All in all, it's a pretty tall order. But I serve a mighty God, and I believe that I am seeking to walk in obedience to Him. He promises the power to do what He has called us to - and I am clinging to that. I want it to be a reality in my life. Would you pray?
No comments:
Post a Comment