
Ok - before you realize it and tell me, I know I have talked about this book before. It is really that good!!
We have recently acquired another copy of Bruce Ware's book "Big Truths for Young Hearts" - and not a moment too soon as we had given ours on permanent loan. I really can not say enough about this book! And the second reading is just as exciting as the first.
First off, I would say that the age range is a bit off. The publisher (Crossway) recommends an age range of 6-14. As someone who often does read aloud books with my kids, I really do have to "translate" to our 6 year olds as we read. It is a bit heavy for them vocabulary wise. For Kate and Michael (9 and 11) it is easier. I would say that to simply pick it up and read it as written, it would age range from 10-17. This varies by chapter as the author uses illustrations written for smaller children - but the theological vocabulary stays in that range - which is a good thing in a sense because they learn the word for the concept at a young age - it just takes some explaining.
Now on to why I love this book!!! Growing up in the OPC as a pastor's daughter, our family devotionals were very much like this book. Taking doctrines one at a time and examining them was something I was familiar with. I think that may be one reason this book resonates with me. At the same time, I am amazed at the way Dr. Ware is able to "fatten out" these doctrines. I can not tell you how many time I have been reading a chapter to the kids and tears have come to my eyes. He quotes scripture extensively as he covers each doctrine, supporting each with multiple examples and then applies them to our lives today. The two questions at the end of each chapter only reenforce that these doctrines are alive and functioning in the lives of believers currently - not just truths to be memorized and repeated. Moving from a functional understanding of doctrine, to functional application of doctrine is key in spiritual growth , and is something I want my children to grasp as they grow in their knowledge. It is also a book that reminds and teaches me as I am reading - which is great for a family devotional - we have all grown through the reading of this book.
You can read other reviews of Crossway's books at this site:
http://www.crossway.org/blog/
No comments:
Post a Comment